Wednesday 28 March 2007

Wednesday

For those of you who receive this blog through an RSS feed, I'm guessing you won't have noticed this week's quote by Federico Fellini. It runs thus: 'Even if I set out to make a film about a fillet of sole, it would be about me'. When I heard this I was instantly reminded of the previous quote I've had here by Renoir saying a director only makes one film in his life. This then reminded me of my own quote that I say to myself, which is 'everyone can write a novel'. I think people are fascinating and unique, and that all of us are capable of writing at least one good book (perhaps it doesn't have to be fiction). These two ideas may not be directly related, but they connect along an axis of the thought that every person has one interesting story to tell. As I said in relation to the Renoir quote, I think the great directors (and great novelists) are capable of telling many stories, but this principle probably holds true for the rest.

Today I realised one of my favourite words is 'irrevocable'. I like it because I can't pronounce it, and it doesn't make sense. Every time I see it heading towards me in a sentence (and I try to fit it into conversations a lot) I pause and have to think about how to say it. I end up speaking very slowly and conscientiously, and normally repeating it several times to make sure I get it right. It doesn't make sense because it should just be 'irrecoverable', but that has a different meaning. 'Irrevocable' is nice because when it comes to spelling it, I always get it right. I hear the word slowly in my head and just type it out. Irrevocable.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...