Sunday 4 March 2007

Sunday

I saw a bit of the Truman Show last night. I had always liked the film. But last night I realised something new, in a similar way to my thoughts about eXistenZ. The movie is not really about reality TV shows. That is its context, but its content is radically different. It is really about all of us. The film is about life in general, about how we all deal with who we are and what we want to be. We are all trapped in a routine, in a way of living, and the expectations of everyone around us to live the way they want us to live. The film is about a crisis in life, in the meaning of life. It is about an overcoming of his disability, and the fulfilling of who he really wants to be. The reality TV thing is just a side issue, not really relevant at all. I wondered as I was watching it what happened to the director, Peter Weir. He is a bit slow in his film making, but he did recently make the excellent Master and Commander, which gets better every time I see it (I first saw it on a trans-Atlantic flight). I can't wait for his next film.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...