Sunday 18 March 2007

Sunday

I believe I originally reviewed The Break-Up on here last year. I have now seen it a second time and I, if anything, was more impressed with it. Perhaps the situations are a little cliched -'why would I want to want to wash dishes?' etc - and sometimes too close to the truth, but overall the film is perceptive and persuasive. The actions and reactions of the characters are sensitively and intelligently observed and perceptive. Vince Vaughn's character is at times too cruel. The comedy might be said to be too much at times - the gay brother, his threatening friend - and distracts from the sincerity of what happens. The ending, which I liked even more, did feel a bit rushed. They should've spent a bit more time on it, I think. That said, watching it a second time and knowing what the ending would be gives the whole film a much more sombre and foreboding feel, which I enjoyed.

N.B. There will be no reviews of recent cinema releases this week due to the writer being financially challenged. If you'd like to sponsor Stranded Cinema, don't hesitate to contact.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...