Thursday 15 March 2007

Thursday

It occured to me tonight what a vital difference between theatre and film is. Of course there are many, and it is not for me to say which is better or worse. This one, however, seemed quite important. During a play actors have to project their voice. For a movie, an actor can whisper, and still be heard by every member of the audience. This is perhaps too obvious a difference to mean anything. But what could it mean? It could mean that actors don't have to perform so much. They are allowed to be much more natural, much more themselves. Sometimes I see actors on stage and they seem amateurish, and I realised this is because they are shouting, and uncomfortable with their voice. In a film, actors can commit to their character and not worry about projection or volume.

Also, Fletch. There are two films of this character featuring Chevy Chase. Due to be made/released this year is a new version, Fletch Won, featuring Zach Braff to be written and directed by Bill Lawrence, the writer of Scrubs. I don't think there could be a better combination to make this film, although as I said a few days ago, Ryan Reynolds wouldn't be bad. Does it need to be made? Probably not, but I'll look forward to it anyway. There are nine Fletch novels by the writer Gregory McDonald (the first made into a movie ten years after publication). Fletch Won is the title of the eighth.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...