Saturday 3 March 2007

Saturday

So, eXistenZ is a weird film. I feel like I've only ever seen it in bits. Last night was no exception. I saw it from more than half an hour in until the end. Perhaps I have never seen it all the way through? Perhaps the best way to see it is in parts? Anyway, last night I realised something new about it. The film is a comment on film-making itself. It deconstructs plot and narrative and character construction, in the same moment that it is trying to construct them. Whilst this is interesting, it is acted by Jude Law, which is a bad thing. On the other hand, there is Jennifer Jason Leigh, who is excellent. So this movie seems to flick between self-indulgent introversion to perceptive insights into the nature of fiction. Reality and virtual become confused and are never resolved even at the end of the movie. It's a very good set-piece, but because you, as audience, are constantly undermined by the filmmakers it's hard to take sincerely or seriously. Still, maybe I should see it from beginning to end, as intended.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...