Saturday 24 March 2007

Saturday

As soon as I saw the credit that said 'Based on the Novel...' at the end of Mystic River, I understood what had been beyond my grasp during my watching of it. The childhood scenes pass too quickly, and we are not given enough time to get used to the three main characters as adults before the murder happens. This wouldn't be so in the book. There were also gestures, speeches, and moments, that seemed disconnected, and yet pretended as if they were vitally important. Again, I think this is due to them being wrenched from the book, and their original context. Overall, I felt that this film seems to think too much of itself. It takes a very serious and grave tone, with big performances from its actors, and demands sincerity of its audience. I wasn't enthralled. The theme of one event affecting their whole lives wasn't interesting, and I'm fairly sure it's been done before? And the line 'I think we're all just 11 year olds stuck in a basement' is terrible. The final irony of the film can be foreseen, but it was still engaging, and the locations were different and developed a convincing atmosphere. My lasting impression, however, is that of its pomposity, as if the filmmakers were aiming at the award season. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, but I have no compulsion to.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...