Wednesday 14 March 2007

Wednesday

How good is Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai? Well, I used to think it was a very good film when I was younger. I saw a few clips* of it yesterday, and I believe it remains so. Although the readings from Samurai texts are perhaps a little pretentious (the quotes of the movie on IMDb are almost exclusively from them), the whole feel of the film is highly original. Two bits about it always annoyed me: the mafia boss doing rap, and the line that goes something like 'this is high noon, like in the movies'. Those two things always snapped me out of the mood of the film. Aside from that, there are so many great moments, attitudes, atmospheres and settings. That Forest Whitaker's best friend doesn't understand anything he says is great. The girl is perhaps a little annoying. Overall, it doesn't force anything upon you, but draws you along slowly. I can understand how many people might not like this at all. But I do. What else has Jarmusch done? Broken Flowers, Dead Man, and Coffee and Cigarettes. I think overrated by people who like them, and underrated by people who don't.

*Due to no more film viewing being possible this week, I'm afraid you'll once more have to put with me talking about bits of movies.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...