Monday 26 March 2007

Monday

A new film is about to hit theatres starring Will Ferrell and Jon Heder. It's called Blades of Glory. It will be interesting to see if Jon Heder can play roles other than Napoleon Dynamite, which seemed to define him so clearly. The concept looks funny, but then as we know Hollywood buys and then sells films to us based on the concept alone: Ferrell and Heder ice-skating together, that was the pitch. Whether the film is actually consistently funny is something Hollywood will hide from us until we pay our £6 at the door. Strangely, the film is seemingly directed by two people who haven't done anything much before; and also written by two people who haven't done anything before (two separate groups of two people, not like the Coens).
I pretty much like watching Ferrell do anything, even if the script is terrible (cf. Kicking and Screaming), so I'll probably enjoy this film, but I have a feeling that it's going to be awful. My reasoning is that I hadn't heard about it until one week before it hits the cinemas. I'm guessing this means that it hasn't been able to generate, or wasn't worth generating, any pre-release hype.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...