Friday 9 March 2007

Friday

A slight delay in stranded postings this weekend due to the combined factors of working and not watching movies. So, whilst I try to catch up, I'm afraid you'll have to put up with me pontificating* about abstract principles of film-making, and presuming things about movies which I've only watched snippets of, rather than reviewing them fully. I saw a bit of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer the other night. I'm fairly sure I've watched it all the way through before, but I'd never noticed, or realised, that Jack Black was in it. How is this possible? Perhaps it was before he was famous, or before I knew he was famous. What I'm really trying to get at here, though, is that Jack Black is a very interesting actor who combines the absurd (Nacho Libre) with the serious (King Kong). He does bring a bit of comedy to all his serious roles, but I think it is quite an achievement to combine the two so successfully. You are really convinced of him in every role - I think mainly because of his enormous sense of commitment to each moment. I wish he'd do more serious roles, though, and less frat boy farces.

*Where does 'pontificating' come from? Well, quite simply from acting like a pontiff. First recorded in about 1825.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...