Monday 12 March 2007

Monday

Because Films Inspire... name changes, the NFT will now be known as the BFI Southbank. As a primarily repertory theatre I had left it out of my attempt to visit every cinema in central London, but I'm sure I'll visit it now in its new guise. Only, what is the point of this new guise? Was the NFT losing money, or prestige? I don't know, but it's happened, or rather it will happen on Wednesday.

Have I mentioned here before my like of Ryan Reynolds? Some consider him just a mediocre comedy actor. But I think he's much more than that. Watch his reactions off dialogue in Van Wilder. This guy should be the next Chevy Chase. He just needs good writers and directors supporting him. Plus he's got the whole alliteration thing going for him. In Smokin' Aces he proved, to me at least, that he can also act straight roles impressively. A good line, brilliantly performed, from Van Wilder: 'Her name's Naomi. That's "I moan" backwards. I put in a good word for you'.

2 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

I haven't seen van Wilder sadly, however isn't the next Chevy Chase: Will Ferrell?

He looks like him, and is in big funny movies, but can also handle the pathos in something like Stranger than Fiction.

Maybe Ryan Reynolds is the next, next Chevy Chase?

Nick Ollivère said...

I'm not sure. Maybe Will Ferrell is the next Will Ferrell. His humour seems so particularly his, if you see what I mean. And I think he writes just as much as he performs. He's completely original. Whereas Reynolds is a straight-up comedy actor.

But, mainly, what struck me was the crazy-eye thing Reynolds does well that Chevy also excelled in.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...