Thursday 11 January 2007

Thursday

I was looking for a good film book yesterday. I spent half an hour in the Waterstone's in Gower Street, then another ten minutes looking through the shelves of the University of London Library. I couldn't find one that really suited me. Perhaps you know of one? What I'm looking for is a simple introduction to cinema, its history, how it works, how it's made, its styles, and how to read a film. Perhaps, you might say, I should know all this already seeing as I write a movie blog. There is always more to learn, I think. And what I know is based simply on watching films and talking to people. There is nothing 'academic' in my knowledge. Perhaps there should be. Not that I have time to read a book on cinema, but it would be good to try.

In other news, how do you dispose of a battery? I walked around town today with one in my pocket looking for somewhere to deposit it. If we're not supposed to put them in regular dustbins, they should at least give clear guidance on where we are supposed to put them.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...