Monday 17 September 2007

Monday

Having seen Angelina Jolie in Pushing Tin, I decided to pursue her career further. I wondered why she was so highly regarded, except for having incredibly big lips, and a willingness to be half-naked. Thus I found myself watching Girl, Interrupted, for which she won an Oscar. Winona Ryder is ostensibly the star, as she plays an aspiring writer in the 1960s pressured into going to a mental asylum by her parents. The flashbacks to her previous life I found irritating, as well as the narration by Ryder (this is adapted from a novel, as you can quickly tell). It seems to fit every other 'group of people bound together by hardship' story that you've ever heard of (either in prisons or schools etc). You have an array of characters all trying to get over their various problems. Angelina Jolie is supposedly the most interesting of these, but I found her performance fairly ordinary. She just seemed to be playing herself, or the same role as in Pushing Tin, anyway. I was pretty bored by the end, but maybe this isn't a movie aimed at me anyway. The premise seemed pretty trite and shallow: what is normal? are any of us really normal? Anyway, I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but I shall have to continue in my search for why Angelina Jolie is so respected. Incidentally, the film's director, James Mangold, is the man behind the current 3:10 to Yuma, which does look good.

6 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

Maybe you should try Million Dollar Baby?

I own it, but haven't seen it.

Nick Ollivère said...

Isn't that Hilary Swank? Or maybe I'm missing your point...

Alex Andronov said...

Whoops! I was sure that was her and kept thinking at the back of my mind, "I know she doesn't seem to have done anything that good - Lara Croft and so on - but she must be pretty good as otherwise Eastwood wouldn't have put her in his movie". But clearly I was just mad.

Supposedly "A mighty heart" is very good, and there's been oscar talk.

How was she in "The Good Shepherd".

Nick Ollivère said...

I think she was miscast in The Good Shepherd. She played the wife of Matt Damon and mtoher of his kids who stayed at home all the time, unaware of what his real job was. It didn't seem to suit her at all. Likewise, of course, her terrible role in Alexander.

A Mighty Heart looks quite bad to me, but I should reserve judgement until I've seen it.

Alex Andronov said...

I'm sure it's probably terrible.

Okay last roll of the dice: Mr & Mrs Smith?

Nick Ollivère said...

Hmm, difficult. I think she may actually be good in that film, but I'd have to see it again.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...