Saturday 27 January 2007

Saturday

I have been inundated with requests to explain my definitions of 'movie' and 'film'*. I thought this would be easy. However, after thinking about it for a day I can't make my mind up on exactly what I do mean when I saw 'movie' and 'film'. Initially, I thought 'movie' stood for a blockbuster: light, easy-going, entertainment that satisfies you emotionally and is normally some kind of escapism. A 'film' is thus an intellectual work of art that challenges you. But then I reached an impasse when I remembered that we used to say Annie Hall and Manhattan were perfect examples of the difference between a movie and a film, respectively. Clearly these two do not fit my definitions. Maybe 'movie' just means something that isn't perfect? Or something that ends happily (although Annie Hall kind of doesn't)? As always, any clear definition you try to impose on art breaks down in the detail. Any ideas?

*Actually, no one's asked me, but I thought I'd do a post on this anyway.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...