Sunday 14 January 2007

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

I quite like the Terminator franchise (although, as I've said, I like all franchises). I remember the second film coming out when I was 12 and it being the one everyone at school wanted to see - although of course we couldn't because it's rated as a 15. Nonetheless, someone had the book of the film, and we all took turns borrowing it - even though I don't remember it ever getting to my turn. Anyway, I received the video of it from my aunt a few years later and, seeing as it was the only video I owned and where I lived had only one television channel, I watched it religiously. I was still underage, and I'd never seen the first one, but it was probably the best present I've ever been given. Perhaps more than I realise the culture of that movie has affected me profoundly.

The first film is definitely the better 'film', but it doesn't belong to my age, if you understand what I mean. Edward Furlong was me, was my age. I watched Termintor 3: Rise of the Machines again tonight. It's a very good sequel, both better and worse than the second: better in the issues it deals with, but worse in its action sequences. Once again the hero is me, is my age. I've read that they're making a fourth film. I don't think this is a good idea. We've gone as far as we can go with the story - unless we go further back in time - and it would ruin the imagined horror of the terminator war if we were to actually see it. The power of these movies is the threat of something in the furture, the weight of fate upon us. It's one of the best science-fiction concepts imagined and pursued through two excellent sequels.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I felt the same about Aliens. I saw it before I'd seen Alien. Alien is the better film but Aliens, being a similar James Cameron monster-fest to Terminator 2, was in some ways more enjoyable.

It didn't really spoil the eventual Alien reveal (out of John Hurt) in Alien when I saw it, as the film and that scene had had so much coverage by then.

Nick Ollivère said...

I feel the same about Aliens too. I saw that many more times before I got to Alien. I guess the difference is Cameron directed both Terminators. By the way, have you seen Dark Star - the comedy inspiration for Alien, by the same writers?

Are there any other sequels like this more famous than the originals? Possibly Silence of the Lambs?

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...