Wednesday 17 January 2007

The Day I Failed To See A Movie

As you might have seen from my 'upcoming attractions' list to the right, I had intended to see The Last King of Scotland today. As you might be able to tell from my tone, I failed. There can be no excuses. Here, however, are the reasons: arriving at 6.15 at the Curzon Soho I found there was a queue out the door on to the street. Strange, I thought, but ok, I can handle a busy theatre. So I waited in line until I got nearer the ticket booth and saw a notice that said the director (?) would be doing a Q&A after the film. This complication would mean two things: the cinema would be absolutely full, and I wouldn't be able to get out, and therefore home, until much, much later than I had planned. For some reason I had no real desire to ask the director any questions, although you'd imagine I would. Anyway, it was 6.20. Where else was showing the film? I began a frantic run around almost every cinema in the west end looking for a movie to see. Every where I went I found long queues, late start times, closed doors, and ushers ushering me away. There are no films that start at 7 or 7.30. Can you believe that? In what is perhaps one of the most heavily cinema-populated places in the world, I couldn't find a film to see. I returned home quite disheartened, but nonetheless determined to watch a movie tomorrow no matter what the limitations are.

It was perhaps ironic that The Man Who Sued God was on television when I returned home. I felt like I, too, had been wronged this time by some all-powerful cinematic deity.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...