Friday 5 January 2007

Friday

Another post on the film Closer, I'm afraid, and there may be more to come. This time a short note to mention the opinions of two people who have seen the play of the movie. They both thought the play was amazing, and were disappointed by the eventual film. One of them, my sister, saw two different performances of it. The first contained a friend of hers in the Natalie Portman role which she described as 'the main character'. This notion I puzzled over for a while. Is she the main character? I certainly didn't come away with that impression from seeing the film. I thought Jude Law was. We begin and end, however, with Natalie Portman. She is the one that changes and escapes. She should be our focus, but perhaps the film lost this, to its detriment? Nonetheless, I do believe this is essentially a 'play', and I will try to explain my definition soon.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...