Wednesday 3 January 2007

Wednesday

It's always interesting to hear other people's opinions of films. This may sound obvious to you, but what I mean is people who you don't normally talk to about film, and people who don't know you are very interested in cinema and write a movie blog. Thus it was that someone told me Broken Flowers is pointless, and American Beauty stupid and silly. This may well be true, but I think their reasons for saying so could be easily undermined. Nonetheless, after them giving me to keep those two DVDs, we then proceeded to watch Closer. To them it was a very rude film which didn't end satisfactorily.

I reached the end thinking it had a good script, good acting, that it had tense situations and engaging dialogue, but overall feeling 'so what?'. It's not that I want films to have a point, or a message, but I left this thinking why should I care? It's a story about annoying, unlikable people doing annoying, unlikable things. Then, during the credits I noticed the film was adapted from a play. Suddenly it all made sense. If this had been on a stage would I have felt the same lack of interest? Probably not. I probably would have liked it immensely. Do I then demand something from a film that I don't of a play? I'll post on this again later this week.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...