Tuesday 9 January 2007

Monday

I was persuaded to see Night at the Museum based on the concept alone. I think this is how a lot of films are sold to us. In fact, I think this is how films are sold to producers/studios. 'Ok, imagine Ben Stiller in a museum where everything comes alive at night. Lots of jokes, lots of fun, and a happy family ending for Christmas'. That is the film. Having seen it a few hours ago, I can tell you that there's nothing more to it. The concept sounds entertaining enough, but they haven't added anything else. All the good jokes are in the trailer, and even they're not that good. It is a concept studio film. They knew people would see it (I did), and that's all they wanted. They didn't want to make a great film. It fades terribly into cliches (if it wasn't already one) for the last twenty minutes - a lot like Jumanji. It could have been a really good film - the concept does have potential - but I don't think any of the actors were really given much freedom, and you do have some great actors here. One of which, as I mentioned earlier, is Ricky Gervais. Unfortunately he is completely out of place. Don't see this film unless you're under 12 years old.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...