Tuesday 9 January 2007

Tuesday

Which film suffers the most from having advert breaks inserted into it? The Thin Red Line. This movie depends for much of its effect on its incredible sense of fluidity. To put advert breaks into it is to ruin it substantially. Flicking through channels the other night I came across it just as it was returning from such a break. I felt completely disorientated, and it took me ten minutes to get into the rhythm of it, before soon being broken again by another advert break. Some films, it seems, can survive this process, although it is generally not recommended. Advert breaks almost always come at the wrong time, especially on Channel 5 I've noticed. It takes quite a sensitive editor to put them in the right place, and most channels don't have the time to do so. FilmFour was once good, having no advert breaks, and TCM is still ok - sometimes admitting only one in the whole film.

Something a friend said to me in conversation that I found quite funny: 'I think I'm becoming an alcoholic. Every day I have 3 or 4 pints or more. It's gotten so bad that when pink elephants get drunk, they see me.'

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...