Monday 15 January 2007

The Improvement of Television Series

We can no longer dismiss television as a lesser medium than film. I wonder if we ever could? Certainly recently, however, the quality of some programming has become as good as, if not better than, many movies. I think it started with 24, but I'm not certain about that. It has been a slow development, of course, but 24 really broke new ground. The dialogue, the acting and more importantly the special effects improved tremendously. The American industry began investing a lot of money in hit shows.

Prison Break has just begun its second season. I watched the first one and had not realised it was such a hit. No one I knew followed it, anyway. I found it extremely annoying. The series was called Prison Break but nothing happened for 20 episodes. This is a problem I find with television programmes: the length of the series. They go on forever, for almost half a year, and nothing really happens. But you get sucked in, involved with the characters, and can't escape. The same happened to me with Invasion. What a waste of time that was. I don't really want to watch the second series of Prison Break but it looks as though things are actually happening now. We'll see.

By the way, this blog now has a sister site: Stranded Photos.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...