Saturday 1 December 2007

Saturday

Renting videos has become quite difficult lately. I went in to my local store yesterday looking for a new release to watch, only to find that I'd seen virtually all of them already at the cinema. Those that I hadn't seen, I didn't want to see. Most of the time, it seems, I will just have to choose between those that I liked the first time. Luckily, however, there was one movie (and I'm pretty sure only one) that I hadn't seen in the theatre, but had wanted to see: The Black Dahlia. This seemed to me like a bad copy of L.A. Confidential. Perhaps the novel by James Ellroy was good, but the adaptation seemed unnecessarily confusing (although watching it in parts over five hours might have hindered me there). Aaron Eckhart and Hilary Swank were good, but Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson were miscast. Hartnett was ok, and could be good in this sort of role, but Johansson was too innocent and blank to pull off this role. She has no character or interest. Overall, the film seemed too light, too clear and colourful. The mood wasn't right at all. I was especially disturbed by the unexplained first-person steadicam shot we got at one point of Hartnett greeting Swank's family. Very odd. If it's referencing something else, fine, but it left me perturbed. I've never particularly got along with Brian De Palma. I thought this film might change my mind. It almost did, but not quite.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

'The Grilse' is fascinating. Is it autobiographical?

Nick Ollivère said...

It's not autobiographical. It's just a short piece of my fiction I felt like posting instead of a review.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the intrusive question. It just feels like there's a real weight of personal suffering behind it. Quite a lot of ambivalence - even (if you'll allow me to speculate) a degree of emotional detachment. I came across your website some time back when I was searching for film reviews. A friend of mine runs a small publishing house; it produces a monthly journal with short stories and poetry, and they're looking to start including film criticism. Are you interested?

Nick Ollivère said...

I actually felt it was too contrived and artificial, but I'm glad to hear that the emotional effect worked.

I'd be happy to write film reviews for someone other than myself - I think you can find my email address to give to him by clicking on my name here.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...