Wednesday 26 September 2007

Wednesday

I may be overly confusing you at the moment by posting four days late but still keeping the original title. Thus, lounging around this Saturday afternoon you are receiving Wednesday's post. It will all make sense soon, I promise. Anyway, over the last year I have perhaps increased my cinema-going by more than one hundred percent. Not only that, but it has had an effect on how many films I see at home too - buying, renting, or watching them on television. And writing these articles means I am thinking about the art of cinema almost every day. What effect has all this had on me? you may be wondering. I feel much more confident analysing a film now. I've seen so many that I've developed a range of tastes within me. I know what I like and don't like to see, and what I've seen before. My knowledge is far from comprehensive, but I start to see clearly within a few minutes of a film beginning the form and the stylistics and how to break them apart. I no longer worry whether my reviews will include everything. It's impossible to include everything, and I know I will make mistakes. I don't worry when I enter a film if I'll be able to form a judgement of it, or whether my judgement will be correct. I always know I'll have plenty to say, and that there is no such thing as a 'correct judgement'. I hope, for you too, it's been a beneficial learning period!

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

It has been an interesting story arc. Happy one year anniversary!

I've enjoyed it so much, I'm eagerly anticipating the sequel.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...