Monday 10 September 2007

Monday

Last night I watched (for perhaps only the second or third time) Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You. I realised it's very much like Hannah and Her Sisters: the storyline spans a year, and Allen himself plays the role of a stepfather looking for new love. Nothing much happens, as in a lot of Allen's movies, but it's the journey that you enjoy - more specifically the jokes along the way, and the character observation. There are songs, but is this really a musical? It's more like a film with some music, rather than a musical with some talking. Anyway, things happen, but nothing changes, really. it's all good fun but you don't feel particularly enriched by the end. The dance scene along the Seine is magnificent, but when it's done you feel that it was an empty exercise, rather than heartfelt. Not that I didn't enjoy this film, but it is not nearly as fresh and exciting as Hannah and Her Sisters, nor as powerful as Crimes and Misdemeanors.

2 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

I want you to see disturbia this week. I'll pay if necessary.

Nick Ollivère said...

Well, provided I managed to overcome this cold that I now have, I should be able to see it tomorrow night. Although I can't see where it's on. Is it out yet?

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...