Wednesday 12 September 2007

Wednesday

Continuing my run of romantic comedies, today I saw Just Friends. I'd been wanting to see it for a while as it stars three of my favourite young actors: Ryan Reynolds, Anna Faris and Amy Smart. It's about a guy who returns to his home town and meets the girl he loved at school, but who only ever considered him a friend. Reynolds is as funny as ever - getting humour out of previously humourless situations - and still reminds me of Chevy Chase. The film of course isn't perfect. The drive of the film is lost when we suddenly hear his thoughts, and two minutes later when we start getting the girl's point of view (where previously we've only had the boy's). It ruins the tension considerably. The ending is also resolved too quickly, and quite unrealistically. With the stars that they have, however, this was always going to be enjoyable (for me at least). It is mildly funny, and heart-warming, and seeing as it's set over Christmas, we should really call this a Christmas movie. Worth watching on Boxing Day, at least.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...