Monday 24 September 2007

Monday

Unfortunately, I drank too much on Sunday night and incapacitated myself all Monday and most of Tuesday. I will try to get back on terms with Stranded Cinema as quickly as possible. In my convalescence I was lent the complete series of Heroes on DVD (I don't know if my friend acquired this illegally or not, and I didn't ask). I had been watching it on BBC 2, but have now propelled myself far ahead of such terrestrial dawdlings. Although I've said here previously how television has begun to narrow the gap to cinema recently, I think Heroes must be considered as something that surpasses that distinction. It is compelling. However, very little actually happens in each episode, and it can be frustrating. The series overstates its own importance a little. It could be condensed a lot more. Also, if you take away the special powers, you realise you are left with little more than a soap opera - a daughter feeling alienated from her parents, a struggling single mother etc. So, this is good, but I wait to see how it ends and where it goes (I believe a second series is on the way soon).

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...