Monday 21 May 2007

Monday

Over the weekend I bought and watched both Fletch and Fletch Lives. I had seen them before, although I didn't remember large parts of the former. Perhaps I had never followed it to the end? I have a memory of my father and I, late at night, deciding to watch it because it had Chevy Chase in it. I remember being disturbed by how unlike National Lampoon it was. Chevy was making cynical, violent jokes about other people. I didn't really understand. Now, however, I love these movies. I'm not sure how much Chevy ad libs - it seems like a lot, but that might just be great scriptwriting. Overall, though, this does feel like a masterclass from Chevy on how to do comedy. Some of the lines aren't that good, but it's how he delivers them, and how he reacts to other people delivering them, that is brilliant. The disguises he puts on aren't so important as the names he creates, seemingly on the spot, for every person he talks to. Because I can't remember many of the jokes, and I don't want to spoil it for you, I'll just leave you with this taster:
What are you doing here?
I ordered some lunch.
You ordered it here?
Well, I knew this is where my mouth would be.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...