Tuesday 1 May 2007

Tuesday

I couldn't decide what film to see today because the one I most wanted to watch, Shooter, was either too expensive, too late, or too far away. However, thanks to our man in the field (or rather back in the office), Alex, delivering some quickfire information minutes before I arrived at the box-office, I was able to choose Fracture over Next. We'll never know if I made the right choice. But I thought this was a pretty interesting film. The script and story were good, and the acting impressive. The direction was professional. Although the music was generally quite bland, there were good points. There are some slight issues with the ending - the final 'solution' has some flaws; and we're not taken through it clearly with the main character; and the love interest plot isn't tied up neatly enough - but otherwise I was intrigued all the way through. The question is, would I want to see it again? I'm not sure. An overall problem was that this could easily have been an episode of CSI or Shark. With television programmes making such an improvement in recent years, movies really have to step up and do the same in order to distance themselves, and validate their status as higher works of art - a bigger budget and longer production time is no guarantee of quality.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...