Monday 7 May 2007

Monday

Why is Tremors such a good film? I'm sure I've written about this before here, but seeing it again the other night reminded me of its subtle brilliance. At its core is the perfect buddy movie. Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward are great together. What revolves around them is then a witty, slightly post-modern, but perfectly pitched horror/monster/disaster movie. It's funny and/or scary when it needs to be, creates an interesting set of rules to follow and then disobey, and builds to a suitably good climax, ending in the exact spot that it began. What happened to the director afterwards in 17 years? He did City Slickers, Mighty Joe Young, and The Adventures of Pluto Nash - to name his most well-known films. So, he hasn't done too well. How is it that these one-hit wonders happen? The right group of people at the right time produce one good movie, then drift away and fail to replicate anything really worthwhile again. Only Kevin Bacon has been able to maintain some degree of quality, but he has had his periods in the wilderness too.

3 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

City Slickers was a huge success though. I bet it made much more money than tremors. You may have meant critical success but I actually enjoyed City Slickers too.

Oddly enough a young Jake Gyllenhall was in that movie. As one of my favourite comedians said to Jake Gyllenhall the other day when interviewing him, "So knowing that I didn't see what all the fuss about Brokeback mountain was - I mean it wasn't even your first gay cowboy movie".

Nick Ollivère said...

Yes, indeed, what I meant to say was 'only 1 success in 17 years'. I've often thought 'City Slickers, that's a funny film', but when I've seen bits of it only found it laugh-inside funny rather than laugh-outside funny. is it a favourite of yours?

Alex Andronov said...

Oh not really. I think I've seen it once about 15 years ago. I thought it was funny at the time I think, but obviously I can't really remember. No idea if I still would. I remember thinking that the sequel was dreadful though.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...