Tuesday 5 December 2006

Tuesday

So, Children of Men is perhaps the best film of the year. At least, if someone asked me to name my top three it would be in there. Or, to put it another way, it was the film I left the cinema feeling most changed from when I'd gone in, with the longest lasting impressions lingering in my mind. It was quite incredible. Yes, there were some slow moments, but they were more than compensated for by the amazing vision of the director. The landscape of the near-future was horrifyingly captured. What struck me especially were the very long steady-cam shots where we were turned, and turned, again and again to reveal more and more terrifying scenes, unable to look away, unable almost to breath, as the director held and held the cut through the most stunning scenery. Maybe the effect will wear off after a while, but at the moment all I can do is recommend you see it immediately.

Incidentally, I was quite hampered on my way to the cinema. Leaving work at 6 I had to get to the Leicester Square Odeon Mezzanine theatre for the 6.15 showing. So, I was approaching the square, pretty tired from the walk, at about 6.10 when I heard a lot of noise. It was the premiere for The Holiday. I'm not sure what celebrities were there but there was a lot of cheering. I had to navigate my way all the way round the red-carpet enclosure. I caught glimpses of someone, but now being late for the film I had to rush. With the cinema in sight I was stopped by a very impolite policewoman. 'I'm just going to the cinema' I said. 'Wait a moment please, sir, I'm talking to someone' she said. So I waited a moment and then she turned to me and let me through finally to the ticket office to pay a very over-priced fare. Anyway, all this was forgotten by the incredible film. Go see it.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...