Monday 11 December 2006

Monday

I'm not sure about this film Apocalypto. The name's not so good, for starters. It sounds like a night-club in Hackney. The trailers have made it look quite unconvincing, and not very compelling, and seeing as I'm normally persuaded by absolutely every trailer I see, this isn't very good news either. It's spoken in an ancient Mayan language, a gimmick which only interested me for The Passion of the Christ when I knew I'd get to hear Latin - because a long time ago I said someone should make films about Romans in Latin. So why should I go to see it? Because it's directed by a proven director? He's only done four, quite similar, films. The plot sounds extremely familiar - a man escapes from his tribe in order to avoid being sacrificed. Of course, I'll probably go to see it in the New Year when there's not much else happening, but this Christmas I'm much more likely to see Night at the Museum. Why not?

By the way, who is going to go to see The Nativity Story? And why have they changed the name of Clint Eastwood's film Letters from Iwo Jima?

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...