Thursday 14 December 2006

Thursday

Having been a little harsh to Tony Scott yesterday I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and see his film Deja Vu today. It's pretty good edge-of-the-seat, popcorn munching stuff. The title has nothing to do with the plot. It is in fact one of those strange films whose trailers, advertising and title doesn't do it any justice. However good the ideas are in it, and however compelling the storyline, though, I would have to say the film-making isn't anything spectacular, in fact quite irritating at times, and there isn't really much that makes you 'think'. The concepts they introduce are never resolved, which is quite irritating, and they seem to skip several corners. Nonetheless, if you want an exciting, tense cinema experience this is one of the better films around at the moment.

I have to mention the cinema I saw it in: the Apollo West End. I believe it's an entirely new cinema. It's quite expensive, and aims itself at the 'luxury' market, although I was seated in front of a group of teenage kids. As such it's quite empty and weird. A bit like a doctor's sugery. Anyway, it's worth checking it out if you have the money.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...