Monday 25 December 2006

Christmas Day

It is something of a tradition, neither rigidly enforced or taken seriously, that we watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year for the holiday season. I have always been slightly hesitant about it, but this year enjoyed it quite thoroughly. Perhaps it was the whisky that clouded my judgement, but I suddenly found a hundred more jokes I'd never seen before. Of course it's stupid and tacky and silly, but it is also fun, and Chevy Chase is amazing. Overall, it shouldn't be analysed, like Christmas, and so I won't do it. It is like Christmas itself, or should be: without shame or guilt, or the promise of anything beyond life, but simple, good-hearted fun. Merry Christmas.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...