Monday 26 February 2007

Monday

There is an IMDb of car chases: Varaces. It is an event peculiarly cinematic. As Eddie Izzard once hypothesised, you don't have car chases in books. Yet most of them, to me, are very dull. It does take quite a lot of talent to make them interesting. I saw part of Escape to Athena on Sunday, and within that is an excellent motorbike chase through the narrow streets of a Greek village. They really do go incredibly fast. I believe it was Orson Welles in Touch of Evil who first developed the on-board camera, but have no proof of this. Incidentally, in researching Touch of Evil I found out that Welles wasn't hired to direct it, but ended up doing so by accident because
Charlton Heston thought he was, and then demanded that he did. Anyway, back to car chases. I think the key things are to keep them as real as possible, and to have no music. I believe the one in The Bourne Identity is good too. Varaces at least give it 8.83. What a very odd website.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...