Monday 5 February 2007

Monday

I've always liked the quote by Stanley Kubrick that is in the header of this blog (and is about to change). I've liked it because the first time I heard it, I didn't hear the 'or thought' part, and my first reaction was 'Well, he's wrong. I would say anything that can be thought can be filmed'. But when did he say it? Did he say it before the advent of believable special effects? It's interesting to think about why he might have said it if it was before the 1990s. Perhaps he meant 'anything can be filmed, but not necessarily very well', but I don't think so. I have a feeling it might have been in reaction to A Clockwork Orange, a supposedly un-filmable book. Perhaps he meant 'anything that can be thought can be translated into film'. You might think cinema can represent everything to us, but it cannot do smell or taste or touch. Do you ever smell or taste or touch something in your thoughts? I think I'm getting on to dangerous ground here. I believe anything I can think can be filmed, because most of my thoughts are, I believe, very visual. I see images and associate them with sounds. I can't claim to know if this is the same for everyone else. Perhaps cinema has shaped my thoughts. How did people think before it?

2 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

I believe the full quote is: "The very meaninglessness of life forces man to create his own meaning. If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed."

And I think it was about 2001 a film which people probably don't credit enough for the way it re-wrote what was possible visually. Although I don't have any proof of it.

I've also always liked that Kubrick quote, and this one as well: "A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later."

Alex Andronov said...

Or perhaps more relevantly for us now:

"Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but the best thing that young filmmakers should do is to get hold of a camera and some film and make a movie of any kind at all."

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...