Sunday 18 February 2007

Sunday

As I strolled down Gipsy Hill this foggy evening, I wondered if I Heart Huckabees is actually a good film or not. I enjoy it, there's no doubt about that, but is that enough? I saw an episode of Family Guy where they ridiculed it as one of the worst films of recent years. I can also imagine certain people I know, if they watched it, saying that they thought it was terrible. The philosophy of the film is certainly very rudimentary, but that shouldn't matter. Perhaps these people would say the whole thing is pointless, about annoying people doing self-absorbed annoying things - a deliberately 'quirky' film with nothing to it. It is a movie that invites hatred. I searched the internet and found: 'unmitigated disaster', 'save time by not watching it', and 'a shambolic affair'. This took 30 seconds. As we know from psychology 101, hatred stems from jealousy. If so, what are these people jealous of? Perhaps they just 'don't get it', or don't get that there is nothing to get. I enjoy it, and many other people enjoy it. Perhaps it will be forgotten in five years. For now, however, it is a good film.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...