Monday 19 February 2007

Monday

Hot Fuzz is terrible for the first hour and a half, then brilliant for the last 30 minutes. It is too annoyingly over-stylized for those early parts. We're not allowed into the film, but seemingly shut out of it. It's too loud, and glossy, and too close (or maybe I'm just getting old). More importantly, perhaps, it just not that funny. Sure, there are the occasional funny bits, but not enough. Besides, I've never really found quaint English villages as humorous as some people seem to (which was my problem with the Wallace and Gromit film too), perhaps because I wasn't raised in one? However, as I say, the final half hour is excellent. The film finally goes somewhere, and the humour and the movie-references take over. Perhaps some might say it gets ridiculous, but that's the joy of it for me. The only slight problem is the multiple endings - they only need one of them, I think. Overall, the movie seems too small-minded for me, too provincial, too interested in itself. Plus, the title is awful.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...