Wednesday 10 October 2007

Wednesday

After watching Clerks yesterday I decided to visit the IMDb trivia page on the film. I wonder if there is such a thing as knowing too much about a movie? If there is a picture you particularly love, I'd advise against viewing its trivia page. What I found out about Clerks was that it seemed to be entirely an accident. Almost every piece of trivia points out a different direction that should, or could, have happened, but due to chance didn't. For example, Kevin Smith and his friend Scott Mosier made a pact that whoever of them began a film first, the other would produce. It was just luck that Smith started first, and Mosier has produced all his movies since then. All the main characters were initially cast differently. The only reason the shop's shutters are down is because they could only shoot at night. The film was going to end with Dante being shot in an armed robbery of the store. And even the title was going to be different - Inconvenience. It often astonishes me how films are made at all, and how they get to the finished form which we believe they were initially conceived as. It frequently seems these people have no idea what they're doing, but somehow, sometimes, their collective creative efforts and accidents occasionally produce a good movie (although I am being unfair, the basic script for this film is ok). Anyway, only the very greatest directors appear to be able to force through their ideas whole from conception to completion.

1 comment:

fourstar71 said...

Interesting post!

Having worked (doing sound engineering) in television, I know all too well how the finished product varies from the production notes and/or script and how editing can turn the flow one way or another. Although generally you are working to order for a higher power (the network) so any variance is only that which is deemed acceptable.

But with film, especially of the low-budget variety, it seems even more random - the vision of the director (who is presumably often also the writer) can - has to - evolve with the changing circumstances around the shoot.

On another note, I am now going to embarrass myself and admit that I have not seen 'Clerks'. I do intend to. Maybe even tonight now.

I have, however and much to my shame, seen 'Clerks 2'. It was on a plane - does that make any difference? I didn't think the donkey thing was very funny, but some of it was.

Stop hitting me.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...