Monday 22 October 2007

Monday

I've decided it would greatly benefit both me and you if I didn't try to catch up a week's posts in one day. Instead, we'll just forget about the missing entries in Stranded Cinema, and start afresh this week. Last night I watched the majority of Mickey Blue Eyes. I've seen scraps of it before - I don't know if I've ever seen the end (although I can guess what happens). It stars Hugh Grant as an auctioneer in love with a girl, Jeanne Tripplehorn, whose father, James Caan, is deeply involved with the Mafia. This, in its purest terms, is a situation comedy. And I think it's reasonably funny. The stereotype of the Mafia is perhaps over-used (and more originally inverted in Analyse This, which came out in the same year), but strangely not much fun is made of Grant's Englishness. Perhaps my liking for this film is influenced by the attractive Ms Tripplehorn, but I think it does achieve everything it sets out to achieve. It's funny, heart-warming, and all those other adjectives you associate with this kind of movie. Probably a very good Christmas movie, although, as I said, I'm still not sure I've seen the end. If they all die in a drive-by shooting, my verdict of this film may be different.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...