Monday 15 October 2007

Monday

Watching Sean William Scott in Bulletproof Monk reminded me that he is one of quite a few young, promising actors who has not done many, or any, good films yet. I liked him in Evolution, but then I like almost everything about that movie. Mentioning Alfie earlier, also made me think that, really, Jude Law has yet to do something really spectacular. He can be quite annoying, but he does have potential. Josh Hartnett and Ryan Reynolds too (although The Nines may exclude him from this list) need to start getting in some good roles. And then I think of Ewan McGregor who seems to have just wasted his opportunities after Trainspotting. Perhaps I'm too harsh. Perhaps no good films are being made anymore? Or if they are, they're out of the Hollywood system where these actors are scared to go. Choosing what films to make must be incredibly hard for actors. They're not writers or directors - they don't really know what's going to be good, and how it will be produced. I suppose we have to admit the best actors do know, and do choose intelligently, but they are very rare indeed. A more succesful approach is to become attached to a great director, like Leonadro DiCaprio with Martin Scorcese, or Owen Wilson with Wes Anderson. The problem then, of course, is knowing which directors are actually good, and then getting them to like you.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...