Thursday 11 October 2007

Thursday

In his interesting comment yesterday, Adrian said how he'd seen Clerks 2 on a plane, and he wondered if that made any difference. The answer is a wholehearted 'yes', but how and to what extent is difficult to answer. I've been told that studios edit movies for planes, and they also have to adjust the format, I believe. Some directors resist this kind of thing, but even if the movie was shown exactly as it appeared in cinemas there are of course still differences. The size of the screen, the sound through the headphones, and the commotion around you. In many ways, I suppose, a plane is like a cinema - especially during a long flight when the lights will be dimmed. I first watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World on a plane, and I quite enjoyed it. The problem is, I found, that you keep drifting in and out of consciousness, and the film is normally on a loop, so that you'll watch it three or four times but not all together. I'm not sure how much thought studios put into showing their films on planes. Do they expect to make money at all? One thing I know is that, although it will never happen, it would've been great to see Snakes on a Plane in a plane.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...