Friday 26 October 2007

Friday

In yesterday's theguardian there was a short article on Wes Anderson. It confirmed many of the things I thought about the director, but never really voiced. He is great, but has yet to make a great film. So far they have been 'whimsical', as the journalist put it, and out of touch with reality. The movies were entertaining, undoubtedly, but still somehow felt like a waste of a great talent. Apparently his new film, The Darjeeling Limited, fails to make any improvement on this situation. The journalist, however, doesn't mention The Life Aquatic, which I enjoyed. This film makes an attempt toward seriousness, but I believe again still fails. Putting serious events, such as death, into your movie doesn't make your movie serious. It is all about how you treat such events and into what context you put them. Earlier this year, though, Anderson made a short film with Natalie Portman and Jason Schwarzman called Hotel Chevalier. I haven't seen it, but apparently this was very good, and crossed over into seriousness succesfully. I'll try to track it down. But for now I'll go see The Darjeeling Limited, and continue to have faith in him.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...