Saturday 6 October 2007

Saturday

Finally Day Watch, the sequel to Night Watch, is out in cinemas. But the reviews so far have been mediocre, sometimes bad and sometimes ok. This is disappointing. Perhaps I was lulled by the Russian production and the sense of something different, when really these films are quite ordinary. I don't know. They're trying something unashamedly epic and original (although these movies are developed from novels), which is what Hollywood is increasingly not brave enough to do anymore. The style is glamorous, but the content is ugly - again something America is afraid of. Aside from this, there are still far too many other films out that I need to see. The Kingdom, whose premiere I accidentally walked into on Thursday, seems overrated, as does The Brave One. I'm interested in the westerns, but they've almost disappeared already. Several people have told me Run, Fat Boy, Run is good, but I remain unconvinced. I did see a good review for what looks appalling (and you can tell from the title): Hatchet. Maybe...

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...