Thursday 14 June 2007

Thursday

There has only been one film made about Formula 1, as far as I'm aware, and it's called Grand Prix (Driven was about CART, and was terrible). I believe I've seen most, if not all, of it. It appears to capture the spirit of the period, but I'm not sure how accurately it portrays the racing. I remember weird montages with split screens, double vision and dreamy music. The arrival of Lewis Hamilton this year has given us a real possibility of making a film about Formula 1 again. The story of his rise and rise is too good to be true (which leads me to think it may come to a sudden end). Script-writers couldn't come up with anything better. With this as a backdrop, and today's cameras and cgi-effects for detail, we could really accurately and effectively portray the sport in cinema. The problem is, of course, is why should we? I remember someone once said Formula 1 is the greatest sporting narrative. A season gives us all the highs and lows a film or a novel would, all the tension and all the excitement. It is itself a film, or perfect entertainment as it is, we don't need to make it into one. What do you think?

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

I think that Lewis Hamilton's story is amazing in real life but doesn't make a good film story.

Where's the pay-off? Where's the lows so the highs are better? How does it end?

Yes, I'm afraid I would be unconvinced. But then that holds true for almost any sports film.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...