Sunday 10 June 2007

Sunday

I am one of the many sufferers of what I call the discoverer-complex. What this means is that the movies I tend to like the most are those which I feel I've discovered. Of course I haven't really discovered them: it took hundreds of people to make them, and thousands have seen and liked it before me. But the important thing is that I'm the first who's heard of, watched it and liked it out of all the people I know, and any reviews I've read. It feels like I've discovered it. In many cases, I'll like a film simply because of these reasons, not actually because it's any good. As you can tell, this is a terrible condition, but admitting it is the first step towards recovery.

Incidentally, what I forgot to say yesterday was that Wedding Daze is an awful title, and The Pleasure of Your Company is ok - for a silly comedy - but why do we have one and not the other? Why does it fit Europe and not the US? Perhaps the movie hadn't been successful in America and they thought 'It's got to be because of the title'. Perhaps they thought it gave the wrong impression of the movie. Whatever the truth, Wedding Daze is awful.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...