Saturday 23 June 2007

Saturday

There is a word in the movie industry that I've been hearing more and more of recently. I'm not sure if it's new or old, but it feels new, and I don't know where it came from. Perhaps you've heard it: 'fanboy'. I first read of it in a description of Quentin Tarantino, saying he made 'fanboy films'. Since then I've heard it used of other directors, such as Robert Rodriguez, and I think Craig Brewer (director of Black Snake Moan). It seems to refer to people who like old movies and make new ones in homage to them. Of course this has been happening for a long time, but perhaps the important missing adjective here is 'excessive'. They have an excessive like of, and excessively reference, previous films. Their movies become just a stream of allusion, indecipherable to the uninitiated. I wouldn't say this is true, but this is the perception. 'Fanboy' seems to refer to a movie without any serious sense, that is style alone, and the previous films these directors like are not necessarily classics, but more often pulp, exploitation, comic or violence. It is, of course, used as slightly derogatory, but I think it can easily be turned into a positive thing.

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

I think the best example of a fanboy is Edgar Wright or perhaps more actually Simon Pegg (but it's difficult to draw a line between the two of them). The movies that they have created is almost a new genre. They aren't spoofs, they are real movies, but they almost require you know what they are alluding to, to get the full comedy of the situation. They are done in a loving way though, so that there isn't a chance you would think they were taking the piss out of the original. It's an interesting concept, but is it perhaps a hollow one? Whatever it is, it certainly has the essence of fanboy in there.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...