Monday 25 June 2007

Monday

I found out two new things about the director Jean-Pierre Melville at the weekend. First, his real surname was actually Grumbach, but he changed it to Melville because he liked the American author. Second, he was perhaps instrumental in the development of the 'jump cut', and other aspects of French New Wave cinema, whilst not actually being considered part of the movement himself. I believe I've only seen one of his films Le Cercle Rouge (or, The Red Circle). It was such a brilliant film, however, that I really should've watched more of his work by now. Others include Un Flic, Bob le Flambeur, and Les Enfants Terribles. I think there's a season of his movies happening as I speak on FilmFour. Look out for them if you can. He's an underrated director.

In other news, theguardian this week are producing a list of 1000 films to see before you die. Quite excessive, as you can imagine, and I'll try to give my reaction to their selection in the days when I'm not reviewing films.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...