Monday 11 June 2007

Monday

On Thursday I could've gone to a screening of The Pacific and Eddy where the director was answering questions from the audience after the film. I chose not to go. I don't really know what to ask people. This is perhaps why I'd never make a very good professional critic. I'm not that interested in talking to the people behind films, and certainly not the majority of actors. Or, I am interested, but perhaps not for the right reasons. The questions I'd ask them would be 'how long did that sequence take to shoot?', 'how'd you get that camera movement?', 'was that scene one cut?' etc. Technical questions whose answers would help me out in making a movie, but not interest a general reader, or the person I'm interviewing. It also seems as if almost every question you could want to ask has already been asked. People in movies are subjected to hundreds of interviews. I wouldn't want to add to their list. If I ever made a film I'd allow just one interview. All the press could get together and decide on the questions to ask, and then nominate one journalist to ask them. Obviously I'm insane, but you can't doubt its logicality.

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

They do, do this I think, almost. It's the press conference isn't it. Just like in F1 they usually have a moderator who gets to ask the main set of questions, then the print and radio journaists get to ask all of their questions afterwards.

It's tv that sours the mix, because they want their own person in shot with you. But I suppose tv is more important so they give them the extra.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...