Saturday 9 June 2007

Saturday

For some reason I've now mentioned the film Wedding Daze twice on Stranded Cinema, even though I have no intention of seeing it. I guess it's a good example of the kind of film I think should never be made. Although, I have to admit to being a little tempted (I'm a bit of a sucker for stupid comedies). Anyway, if you ever feel inclined to look it up on the IMDb, you won't find it. Or, you will, but under another name. It's real, US title is apparently The Pleasure of Your Company, but can also be called The Next Girl I See. I find this multi-naming of films interesting. Some of your favourite movies may have had a completely different title just weeks before their premiere. What you see could be named differently in Europe, in America and Asia. It's good business sense, but strange for art. I was always amused by how Friday the 13th was called Tuesday the 13th in the Spanish speaking world. The upcoming Die Hard sequel has apparently had numerous name changes: Die Hard 4, Die Hard 4.0, Die Hard: Reset, Die Hard: Tears of the Sun, Die Hard 4: Die Hardest, and now Live free or Die Hard. Then there's the famous change of Springtime for Hitler to The Producers. Know any more?

3 comments:

fourstar71 said...

What the hell is Tuesday the 13th???

Nick Ollivère said...

Well, apparently, in the Spanish speaking world Tuesday 13th is an unlucky day. I don't know why. But then, do you know why Friday is unlucky? In Russia it is Monday.

Nick Ollivère said...

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, "Friday and 13 were both sacred to the Norse goddess Freyja, so Friday 13th was especially sacred. Christians who wished to suppress her worship said the day was unlucky".

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...