Wednesday 11 April 2007

Wednesday

Whilst waiting for Sunshine to start yesterday I saw what was perhaps one of the strangest trailers ever. It was for Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's latest movie(s) Grindhouse. The trailer was in the style of a 60s B-movie/pulp fiction double-bill at a theatre called the Grindhouse. The two films are Death Proof, by Tarantino, and Planet Terror, by Rodriguez (I'm not sure if you will actually get to see them at the same time). They seemed to be actual, unremitting, pulp fiction (as opposed to post-modern commentaries on the form): one about zombies; the other about a death proof car. The trailers made them look great - absolute cheesy committal to the style, with seemingly no tongue-in-cheek - but whether they are actually enjoyable to watch or not is another matter. Perhaps it will be a bit like The Good German - an interesting exercise, but not much else. As always, you'll have my review here first.

Incidentally, I felt strangely compelled to see the movie Sunshine. I think this was because I was the target audience. It doesn't often happen that this is the case, but here I felt the full force of the advertising machine directed at me. And, sure enough, when I arrived at the theatre there was a queue of 20-something student-type guys in front of me. Creepy.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...