Tuesday 10 April 2007

Tuesday

Sunshine is a terrifying film. I wasn't expecting that. At first the intensity seemed somewhat overplayed, and things started to go wrong very quickly. Maybe the pace should have been even slower? Although, I did hear people complain that it was slow and nothing happens to keep the audience interested, which is absurd. I was on the edge of my seat virtually the whole time*. The story is about a spaceship sent to restart the sun, but it really contemplates death, and life, and the meaning and importance (or not) of both. We get, amongst others, the classic dilemma that we find in Star Trek: save one man that you know, or millions that you don't? These situations are handled well, I think, and sometimes dealt with abruptly and without too much sentimentalism, as well as being interspersed with moments of horrifying action and suspense. I wasn't sure of the style at times: we are given glimpses of things before they happen, mainly shadows and faces. It all adds, I suppose, to what this really is: a great, intense psychological film. I did think, however, there could have been more contemplation on the idea of darkness as a void and sunshine as a fullness. The 'psychopath' at the end, I felt, was a little bit disappointing. Obviously psychopaths are scary, but they are also reassuring. The film can then become the good against the bad, where beforehand the lines had been blurred. Also, I'm not sure if the epilogue was necessary, but something like that was needed. Some have called this movie depressing, but I think conversely it is joyful. Overall, I enjoyed this immensely, although as always there were little things I would have liked to have changed.

*Interestingly, since I've started seeing more and more films, I haven't yet found one that I'm bored by. Every one is interesting to me and keeps my attention throughout.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...